Keeping it Classy in a Virtual World
It’s a hard world to navigate, this virtual reality we live in. In an instance, we have the ability to offend or delight, to enchant or repulse. Here are five top tips for every modern lady to follow and rest assured you’ll come out smelling like a rose.
1) Think before you Tweet: The most well-intentioned celebrities have almost destroyed careers by not following this rule. This rule can be applied to (virtually) everything. Be it a joke or a photo, when in doubt, get a second opinion or do what I do…ask yourself if it would make your mama proud.
2) Give us less, we’ll want you more: Enough with the half naked selfies—I get it. You’re hot and you want your hotness celebrated. But, consider this. We all want what we can’t have. And that, my loves, includes you. Give us less of YOU and I promise it is all we will want.
3) The Humble Brag: Everyone I know has a love/hate relationship with Instagram. Buzzfeed dedicates whole articles (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/26-kinds-of-photos-on-instagram-the-world-can-live) of photos the world can live without (especially with a #blessed). If you are engaging in social media, it is next to impossible not to fall into one of those “hated” categories at some point or another and to not ever come off like you are bragging. That said, IMHO the best 'humble brags,' which include but aren’t limited to: bucket list vacation spots, 10 course dinners, 6 pack abs or magazine covers are best swallowed with an ironic or funny caption. Which I’ve pretty much mastered. #humblebrag #blessed #seriouslykidding
4) Don’t air your dirty laundry: I can’t believe this STILL has to be stated. This is why we have real friends and real therapists. Social media is not the place. Period.
5) Mind Your Ps and Qs: if you stick to the rule that manners still apply in a virtual world, you’ll be way ahead of most. You know… “Do unto others” and all that. #TheGoldenRule
Molly Schoneveld is the President of SW PR Shop (www.sw-prshop.com), a boutique public relations company in Los Angeles specializing in entertainment, interior designers, lifestyle experts and hotels. Over the years, she has built a solid reputation for providing great attention to detail and very personalized service. In her downtime, she loves to share her adventures in travel, food & design over at her blog ThisYuppieLife (www.thisyuppielife.com).
*Please note that not all experiences, beliefs and ideas are shared by each member of “The New Hollywood.” We are a group of shepherds, not sheep.